About the Department
The Department of Advanced Education, Skills and Labour has a mandate to ensure the province has highly educated graduates and skilled workers for a
fast-growing economy. This includes creating a climate which is conducive to economic growth, competitiveness and prosperity. This will be achieved
through a spectrum of programs, services, and supports as outlined below:
- Helping employers with accessing and keeping skilled workers.
- Supporting the delivery of post-secondary education though Memorial University of Newfoundland, College of the North Atlantic, and private training institutions.
- Protecting basic labour rights.
- Administering the student financial assistance program.
- Establishing and monitoring program content and providing support for apprenticeships and trade certifications.
- Offering career development and planning services.
- Providing employment and training supports, as well as information about the labour market.
- Providing assistance in resolving workplace issues and arriving at collective agreements.
- Creating partnerships to promote the revision and relevance of the employment relations regulatory framework.
- Delivering income support and other financial supports.
- Assisting people and communities during disasters.
- Increasing the recruitment and retention of immigrants.
- Promoting multiculturalism.